Hipster Food Alert: Beer Allergy Is a Thing
Okay, so alcohol and feeling sick aren’t exactly strangers. Many people have overdone a time or three and found themselves swearing to the porcelain gods that they’ll never drink again. That said, if you’ve discovered your limits and made a concerted effort to stay well within them, yet you still experience sickness-like symptoms from low to moderate alcohol consumption, you may have a beer allergy.
To be more specific, you may be allergic to one or more of the ingredients used in the beer you’re drinking. Common allergens include grains and modified grain proteins, dairy (i.e., in a milk stout), barley, hops, yeast, and even mold. Some people can also be allergic to the chemicals or preservatives used in certain beers (i.e., tartrazine, sulphites, sodium benzoate).
The good news is that beer-related allergies are not typically life threatening. The most common symptoms you may experience are vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, sneezing, wheezing, and hives.
Allergy Testing Is Fast and Easy
It can be hard to guess what ingredient is upsetting your system, especially if you’re not aware of any existing food allergies. The best way to suss out the troublemaker(s) is to do some allergy testing. It’s super easy (kids do it all the time), and it only takes about 15 minutes to get your results.
Still nervous? We’ll hold your hand if you ask nicely. Let’s get you some answers so you can get back to living your best life without worrying that your body won’t cooperate.